Sunday, October 2, 2011

Hydrosols Before Snow

Hello All,

I made 3 hydrosols with Horsetail, Lady's Mantel, and Comfrey. I have been hoping the plants would hang on until I received the distiller so I was covering them with row covers, etc. . The plants definitely did not look their best but connecting with the plant spirit I was instructed to go ahead with the hydrosols.

Even though I filled the bottom water resevoir, I only got about 3/4 wine bottle of liquid in the process. There was always lots of water in the bottom pan. I distilled some plants for about 1.25 to 1.75 hours until the plant spirit directed me stop.

The liquid came out not clear but colored. The Lady's Mantel was lavender-colored from the start. The comfrey was green. The horsetail is greenish brown. I am doing Yarrow now. I hope to do Labrador Tea.

Be really careful not to burn yourself when pouring the liquid out of the distiller. It is easy to do. Ouch.

I have never made a hydrosol before. If anyone has any suggestions on the process please tell us. Thanks!
with love,
Liz

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Isn't it great to have a beautiful collection of hydrosols to go into the winter with? Once you are drinking these on a regular basis, it seems life is never the same again! It changes in s really positive way...

Michelle Lynx said...

Yeah Liz, you are back on the blog.....

You have been busy, so exciting. I think I will pull mine out tomorrow and I am going into the woods on Tuesday. I will post some pictures of the amazing Mullein soon. Some are 5 years old.

I also wanted to send gratitude to Cara, I received the nettles today. So happy.

Happy Harvest Everyone,
Michelle