Hi All,
I thought I would remember our process but I guess I was so excited. Now that I have started making my tonic, I am confused on parts of the directions. I would be grateful if someone can clarify this.
1. When we start do we put any water in the receiver pan or just in the bottom pan that is sitting on the stove element? I put a bunch of water in the lowest pan, perhaps too much. I also put 1 quart water (with the essential oils and environmental essence) in the receiver pan.
I am confused because step 4 of the instructions says to add 1 qt. water and the EO and FE to the receiver. Step 12 says to repeat checking the water level and simmering until the hydrosol equals one quart. Well, I started with 1 qt. water in the receiver pan.
2. How much water goes in the bottom pan?
3. How much water, if any, goes in the receiver pan?
4. Where do the essential oils and the flower essences go? on the fruit?
I would appreciate any help. Thank you so much!
Liz alias "Confused in AK"
3 comments:
Hi Liz,
I remember that we added 1qt to the receiver as well. Hope this helps. Once I do it again I will have better recollection.
Love,
Michelle
The water level that you need to keep checking is the LOWER pan. It can not boil dry, otherwise the whole batch of hydrosol will have a burned aroma, rendering it useless.
I have found that my system will go for two thirty minute rounds without having to add water, if I start with it very full. Most 1 qt. tonics are completed in this amount of time. Longer distillations need to be refilled.
The receiver can be 2 cups to 1 qt. water, and that is where you add the flower essences and essential oils.
Thank you for the clarity. I will be making my tonic later this week as well as some hydrosols.
Post a Comment